In March 2012, Walters Land purchased the site of the former aluminium factory from Alcan/Novelis in Rogerstone. The site which covers an area of some 100 acres is located adjacent to the River Ebbw and it is approximately 4 km west of Newport City centre.
Since the 1760’s the site has had a number of industrial uses ranging from copper works to a nail factory, a gas works, iron and steel works and eventually an aluminium factory. From the 1990’s the industrial activities were gradually scaled down and finally in 2009 the last remaining factory building was closed. All the former factory buildings have now been demolished with the old basements, pits, slabs and below ground structures still left intact.
A highly qualified technical team lead by Savills Planning and Arup, together with other teams of specialist consultants have prepared a comprehensive Environment Statement.
Following submission of a planning application in September 2012, Newport City Council’s planning committee gave an outline planning permission for up to some 1000 new houses, a new local centre including shops, an hotel and restaurant as well as a new primary school, a river side linear park, public open spaces and a playing field.
In September 2013 site works commenced to implement the comprehensive remediation and reclamation strategy designed by Integral Geotechnique. These works are well advanced and it is envisaged that the remediation/reclamation of the entire site should be completed before the summer of 2015.
All sectional approvals from Newport City Council’s technical departments and Dwr Cymru Welsh Water have been obtained. The construction of the main site access, new roads and services are programmed to commence in March 2014.
Bellway Homes and Taylor Wimpey Homes are planning to commence construction of their first show homes in August/September 2014. Linc housing Association are to look after the affordable housing element of the development.